Freitag, 14.06.2024  das Wetter in: Kopenhagen WettersymbolTemp.: 10 °C

Select your language

Wedding in Denmark - Wedding in Copenhagen - Beach Wedding

Legal - Unbureaucratic - Recognised Worldwide

Wedding Agency Karina®

After the wedding

In Denmark you will receive two international marriage certificates in Danish, German, English, French and Spanish. If possible, you should have one of these documents certified with an apostille. The apostille can only be obtained from the legalization office in Copenhagen. You are also welcome to use our apostille service.

If the marriage certificate is to be used in a country that is not part of the Apostille Convention like China (link), Indonesia (Link), Philippines (Link), Thailand (Link), Vietnam (Link) and others, the Embassy of the country in question in Copenhagen must additionally legalise the Apostille.

After the wedding you have to follow these steps in Germany:

1. Both partners have to update their marital status at the respective german citizen centre, but not at the the registry office, and may apply for a new personal income tax withholding class if needed. To do so, you have to provide the original marriage certificate. Some citizen centres require a marriage certificate endorsed with an Apostille.

2. One partner can join the family plan of the statutory health insurance of the other partner, meaning if you are member of a statutory health insurance, your spouse can join the family plan of this insurance free of charge.

3. You have to apply for a residence permit (for 1 or 3 years) for your spouse, at the appropriate Aliens Department. You have to provide the original issued marriage certificate and the Passport / Identity Card of both partners. The person in charge at the Aliens Department may ask for further documents, or require an Apostille of the marriage certificate. Attention: If your spouse has married with a Tourist Visa or Schengen Visa, he or she will have to usually apply for a family reunion visa in their home country. In order to do so, you must provide a certificate about German language skills with at least a level of A1 e.g. by Goethe Institut (link) (abroad) or by a german adult education centre (VHS) (link) .

4. At your german registry office you may register (link) your marriage. This is not mandatory by law.

5. If one spouse would like to acquire the name of the other, one can apply (link) for that after the wedding at the registry office in Germany or at the respective Consulate of the home country. For further details please visit the web sites of the respective embassy.